"Sweet April showers, Do spring May flowers." -Thomas Tusser
To many people, this quote has a literal translation. Those who look more closely though will see the true meaning. Even the darkest of days will eventually bring beauty. I don't know about you, but there is something about the rain that depresses me at times. However, sometimes I do choose to see the beauty in it. As April draws near, I think it is very important that we keep a close eye on our happiness, positivity, and mental well-being. Turn all the rain into something positive and use the month of April to make yourself a better you, and love yourself. You may not see a lot of sunshine, but you should and you can make your own sunshine. As I sit here in my bedroom (while it rains), I decided it would be a great idea to compile a list of things you can do to make yourself a better you this April.
1. I believe that every woman should love the body that she came in, but with that being said, we are human. As humans, we are rarely satisfied with what we are given. I cannot count how many times I have heard a woman express her dissatisfaction with her body. So, my first challenge for you is to incorporate some sort of exercise into your daily routine. This morning, I did a 10-minute workout. I have a super busy schedule, and I know many of you do too. You will be surprised how much better a 10-minute cardio or yoga sesh will make you feel, and if you have a little more time, make it 30 minutes. Do not overdo it though, just do whatever you are comfortable and happy with. Exercise has so many benefits, both mental and physical.
2. Soak up the sun, when you can. Of course, sunny days in April may be few and far between, but when they happen, you should really take advantage of it. The sun provides vitamin D which is essential in helping with depression. Just a few minutes of exposing your bare skin to sunlight can make you feel so much better. Consider taking a vitamin D supplement (after speaking with your doctor about it, of course) on those rainy days when you cannot get any outside time.
3. Do what you love, and get things done. Do all of the things that bring joy to your life, but also do all of the things you have been putting off. If you are stuck inside, create a playlist of your favorite music and clean out that storage room you've been meaning to clean for....6 months now? Fold your laundry, but watch your favorite movie while you are doing it (Beauty and the Beast, anyone?). Wash your dishes, but sing some karaoke. Tackle all of those indoor tasks you've been putting off, but incorporate some of your favorite things to do. You'll thank yourself tomorrow.
4. Pamper yourself. Go get your nails done, or do your own nails. Go get your hair done, or curl your own hair. Do you normally go without makeup? Put a little bit on, make yourself feel sexy, you deserve it. Take a bath instead of a shower. Take the kids to their grandparents or a friend and have a date night with your spouse, or boyfriend or girlfriend....which leads me to my next tip.
5. Have sex. Have LOTS of sex. Let's be honest, sex with the right person fixes EV-UH-REE-THANG. That stack of Cosmo magazines just sitting on your desk because you haven't had time to read them, read them. They have sex tips in them....ALL OF THEM DO! Try them out! This is really my best tip.
6. If all else fails, dance in the rain (but not if there is lightning). The more it rains, the more I realize that there is nothing I can do about it. Enjoy what you are given, and let go of what you cannot control. Yeah, that is literal and metaphorical.
Seriously though, go out and dance in the rain, because the rain is a reminder of the beauty that is yet to come.
-Samantha Jones, Blogger for Ashley Reida Boudoir